Our work and mission
The core mission of Caritas is to see hardship and act against it. And to stand up and speak for those people who have no voice. This means respecting and protecting human life from beginning to end and helping people in distress, regardless of their background, religion or gender to lead a dignified and self-determined life.
In Austria there are more than 1,600 projects and places where Caritas supports people in need in the areas of nursing, people with disabilities, hospices, social counseling, working for families in need, elders or asylum seekers. The Caritas – these are their full-time employees, but above all the approximately 50,000 volunteers, who dedicate their courage and professionalism to support others on a daily basis and fill Caritas Austria’s motto with life: We>I
Because distress has a different face in every country, Caritas Austria is involved in the international Caritas network in its foreign and disaster relief, in which more than 160 Caritas organizations worldwide are serving humanity.
CARITAS AUSTRIA is an internationally operating non-profit organization (donations are tax-deductible Reg. Nr. SO1126; equivalent 501(c)(3) US organization) under the mission of the Austrian Catholic church and pursues solely and directly charitable and benevolent objectives.
Caritas in numbers
- 16,109 full-time employees
- over 50,000 volunteers in parishes and institutions of Caritas
Help for People in need:
- 41 homeless shelters provide 1,793 beds
- 12 mother-child-houses provide accommodation for 168 mothers and 242 children
- 36 Caritas Social Counseling Centers offer advice and help to people in need
- In total, Caritas supports people in need in Austria with € 73 million
Care and Support:
- 2.1 million hours in mobile care per year
- 47 senior and nursing homes
- Over 4,680 people cared for in senior and nursing homes
- 5,919 employees in stationary and mobile care
People with disabilities:
- Some 6,989 people are cared for (part-time and full-time housing, work projects, qualification measures, assistance services), and more than 3,554 people receive social-psychiatric care (mostly counseling services).
- over 3,834 full-time employees in caring for people with disabilities
Support for Refugees and asylum seekers:
- 35 counseling centers for refugees and asylum seekers throughout Austria
- 8,038 beds in accommodations for asylum seekers
- 165 integration projects for a better coexistence
- 10,191 repatriation advice
Caritas Foreign Aid:
- Caritas Austria supported 546 aid projects worldwide in 2017.
- The total volume of this aid amounts to 40.6 million euros.
- The focus is on: disaster relief, children in need, long-term livelihood, people on the run, rehabilitation support (reconstruction)